We recently staged a number of online, zoom based photo book quizzes for a group of photographers. They went very well, and we posted the quizzes for others to enjoy, now having held our first general photo quiz we thought we would share that one also! Why not set up your own event! Wine, beer, bar snacks and bar based Zoom backgrounds are optional! Or maybe you just might want to test your own knowledge! You’ll find the answers at the bottom of this page.
You can find the first quiz here: https://unitednationsofphotography.com/2020/05/18/photo-book-quiz/
You can find the second quiz here:
Round 1: The Past
- What was the name of the magazine Edward Steichen edited from the New York Camera Club at the beginning of the last century?
- What was the name of the director of photography at the New York Museum of Modern Art (MOMA) from 1962-1991?
- Which UK based photographer created the onset photographs for the film Barbarella and The Beatles AHard Day’s Night?
- Which US city did Eugene Smith document with over 17,000 images in 1955, 56 and 57?
- What type of retail store Diane Arbus’s parents own?
- Name two photographers who worked for Picture Post
- Who was the female photographer who created the image on The Clash’s seminal London Calling album cover?
- What is the name of the house that Fox Talbot in 1835 made his famous image of a latticed window?
- Name the founders of the Magnum agency. One mark for each name.
- In which American city was Lee Friedlander born? And for an extra point name the US grunge singer from the same city.
Round 2: The Present
- Which street is the Photographers Gallery, London in?
- Complete the title of this book publisher’s name. Self Publish…
- What is the name of the most recent Stephen Shore book of his work published in March 2020?
- What is the name of Nick Knight’s film and photography project that exists as a website and store?
- In which city is the World Press Photo organization based?
- What is the name of the main building in which Paris Photo is held each year?
- Which nationality is Edward Burtynsky?
- Which Magnum photographer has one of his images on the cover of the 2020 Bob Dylan release Rough and Rowdy Ways?
- Which photographer’s work was exhibited at the beginning of 2020 at the National Portrait Gallery, London and what is the name of the show? One point for each answer
- Which Leeds based photographer has just had a book published of his work by RRB Books titled Early Sunday Morning?
Round 3: Potluck
- What is the name of the Newcastle collective dedicated to documentary photography since 1968 who are connected with the Side Gallery in the same city?
- Which camera company have Huawei collaborated with on their smartphone camera?
- What physical action did Philippe Halsman ask all his subjects to do at the end of a shoot? The images became an iconic book published in 1959.
- What is the name of the American photographer famous for his hyper real, high gloss, celebrity ‘kitsch pop’ surrealist photographs and pop videos. There have been 37 books and catalogues of his work published.
- What was the name of the photographer who photographed The Beatles iconic Sgt Pepper’s Album cover?
- What was the name of the photographer Alice Springs husband?
- What nationality is the photographer Erwin Olaf?
- Which national museum held a major exhibition of Tim Walker’s work that ended in March 2020?
- What form of transport did the photographer O.Winston Link primarily document?
- Complete this film name. Tri…
- Camera Notes
- John Szarkowski
- David Hurn
- A Fifth Avenue Department Store
- Grace Robertson, Thurston Hopkins, Bert Hardy, Kurt Hutton, Felix Man, John Chillingworth, Leonard McCombe
- Pennie Smith
- Lacock Abbey
- Henri Cartier Bresson, Georges Rodger, Robert Capa, David ‘Chim’ Seymour, Rita Vandivert, William Vandivert, Maria Eisner
- Aberdeen. Extra Point: Kurt Cobain
- Ramillies Street
- Be Happy
- Transparencies: Small Camera Works 1971-1979
- Grand Palais
- Ian Berry
- Cecil Beaton: Bright Young Things
- Peter Mitchell
- The Amber Collective
- David LaChapelle
- Michael Cooper
- Helmut Newton
- Victoria and Albert Museum